Greg Freeman at The Moth Club
Wyatt
The Moth Club, 18 August 2026
A year on from catching the fantastic Greg Freeman live for the first time, I was back to see him at the first of two sold out shows at The Moth Club, where we got a preview of his forthcoming new album, All Set The Bone, and I'm happy to say he was better than ever, with a new expanded band and an even heavier sound! Plus he seemed more confident this time round.
After all the queuing and being parted from my phone the night before for the Phoebe Bridgers show, it felt nice to arrive to a show with just a couple of people in the queue, despite this being a sold out show. We were even allowed into the bar, as The Moth Club often does, to wait before the venue room actually opened, where I could read my book. This is why I do love small shows so.
Once inside, it was nicely busy, with a cheerful atmosphere. I think last year The Lexington show I saw Greg Freeman play was indeed also sold out but the Rough Trade instore was not, so it was nice to see him quickly sell out these two slightly bigger shows: word is obviously getting out about Freeman and deservedly so.The support band tonight was a youthful looking quartet from Manchester called Wyatt, who rather unusually had a trumpet player in the line-up (Emily Mason, who also played acoustic guitar on a couple of songs). Led by two brothers Harvey O'Toole on vocals and guitar and Evan on bass (with drummer Joe Ward rounding out the band), they were energetic and loud, playing a rowdy mixture of alt-country and indie rock, often jamming on some and given a unique edge due to the often jazzy trumpet flourishes. I enjoyed their set and at the end they were offering free self-made CDs of their music, so I gladly took one. I'm looking forward to giving it a spin.
It wasn't long before Greg Freeman and his new band arrived on stage, Freeman looking fairly smart in a dark shirt, jeans and a red tie. I had forgotten how slight he is, skinny with fine features and such a soft spoken voice, but he seemed in a good mood and probably excited to be playing to a sold out crowd.
I'm pretty sure this was not the same band this time: the bassist was definitely different (not sure about the drummer as I couldn't see him behind his cymbals) and there was a second guitarist, which he didn't have before. Plus Polly his saxophone player was missing, although she later joined them on stage for a few songs.
He and the band dived right in with a new song, which according to the setlist, was called Hail Mary, which was surprisingly hard rocking, something he would keep up for the rest of the set. He followed this with the first single from the new record, Indu, a cool, spiky Pavement-esque number with a fantastically catchy chorus. The whole band seemed to be having fun playing it and it was definitely fun hearing it.
He then returned to his back catalogue for the next few songs, interestingly enough all from his first record rather than his breakthrough album Burnover, starting with the live favourite Long Distance Driver, which saw the aforementioned Poppy jump up on stage and add her atmospheric, almost dischordant at times, saxophone.
Poppy also stayed for Come And Change My Body, which also included Freeman playing a mean harmonica but best of all was one of my favourite Freeman tracks, Tower, which was absolutely storming, brilliantly building to a barrage of noisy guitars and saxophone, with Freeman soloing away on his SG guitar, before shouting almost-punk like for the loud, punky finale. It definitely set the tone for the all the new material to come.
Most of the set after this was given over to tracks from the forthcoming album, which was a lot louder and rawer than his previous material, Freeman obviously letting his rock n' roll soul go full force on this new record it seems.
One song, which I think may have been called either Decade or Totaled, almost have a Fugazi-style riff, so it made sense that Fugazi was actually playing before the show started.
In all he played five new songs (seven if you include the two opening numbers), giving us an exciting preview of the new album. I can't describe them all but I do know they rocked hard on the whole and it made sense that his band now had an additional guitarist (poor Poppy wasn't needed on these new tracks!).
Freeman himself seemed in a good mood. He's never been especially chatty but I know last time he appeared a bit shy and a little awkward. This time round he talked to the audience a little more and laughed when someone admired his tie. He also seemed relaxed enough to eat grapes throughout the show (his guitarist was constantly popping green grapes too) from a fruit bowl placed on top of one of the amps!
Freeman also gave a shout out to his sister who was in the audience tonight (which may well have accounted for his good mood), calling her "the best friend you could ever have" which was rather sweet.
The only nod to the album Burnover came almost at the end, when he played the cool and groovy Curtain, and the audience was definitely ready for it, because it got a great response. Freeman gamely snarled the lyrics and I again got chills with the change at the bridge, as he sang "if your heart's not in it, then your hearts not in it, then my hearts not in it," it's always been my favourite part of the song and it never fails to get me.
He ended with the Molina-esque grandeur of Colorado and the band once again went full on Crazy Horse, jamming and riffing and looking like they were all having the best time. Even their roadie Gus, who played tambourine with them last time too, was back with a big grin on his face once again, giving it his all to his tambourine playing!
This time there was no encore but it was great to see Freeman looking so happy and confident, clearly feeling positive about the new material and I must say it did sound very strong, quite punchy and powerful, with maybe less of a Molina edge, which maybe is just the sound of Greg Freeman coming into his own.










Comments
Post a Comment